East Africa is quite simply the trip of a lifetime.
Kilimanjaro is one of the world’s greatest natural wonders. Located only 3 degrees south of the equator this dormant volcano rises high above lush green jungles and open plains to its glacier flanked summit. At 19340’/5895m this magnificent peak is not only the highest point on the African continent but the only place in the world where it’s possible to pass through five climate zones in five days.
What makes SMI Kilimanjaro climbs special
- SMI has been guiding expeditions to Kilimanjaro since 1996 and has successfully led climbs up all seven routes giving us unmatched intimate knowledge of this magnificent mountain.
- We offer the highest level of safety and security because our experienced guides are high altitude mountaineering veterans intimately familiar with the intricacies of climbing at high elevation. Therefore, they understand how best to set our groups up for success.
- Our 7-day itineraries are designed for proper acclimatization which allows our groups to fully enjoy the experience. Guests between 10 to 79 years old have successfully reached the summit with us. Most of our groups have achieved a 100% success rate and our cumulative success rate since 1996 is 95%.
- We work with you to develop a training program that’s effective and attainable. You are signing up for more than a 7-day climb; we are here to answer questions immediately from the time you sign up.
- SMI guides have the latest training in mountain medicine and consequently maintain cutting edge knowledge for high altitude medical protocols and treatment. All groups carry well stocked first aid kits, emergency oxygen, and pulse oximeters. While Kilimanjaro is in a remote setting our itineraries allow for access to well established descent paths.
- Our friendly and knowledgeable Tanzanian staff are the best having worked with our team for over 20 years. They deliver unmatched service because they understand the high standards we set for our trips.
- Trained chefs serve tasty meals that include fresh vegetables and fruit and we proudly accommodate any diet restriction and food allergy. All water is clean and treated and because we camp in strategic locations there is never a shortage. Porters are well taken care of which is why our staff have become great friends. Consequently our staff looks forward to us returning and are proud to share the pride of their homeland with us.
- SMI equipment is top quality. Two people share 3-person tents making sleeping spacious and comfortable. We also offer single tents for a nominal fee. Pleasant dining tents, tables, and chairs accompany all groups. Our staff provides warm wash water twice a day and more often if desired. Private toilets exclusively for our groups are also included.
What makes our safaris special
Our safaris are seamlessly integrated into our itineraries and designed for non-climbing family and friends who would like to join. Our safari drivers use comfortable Land Rovers with removable rooftops for superb animal viewing and photography. Vehicles are equipped with power outlets allowing personal electronics to be charged on the go and coolers to store cold beverages. Our skilled safari guides know behaviors and patterns that maximize our chances to locate animals. We stay in a combination of cozy lodges and comfortable permanent tented camps handpicked from over 2 decades of experience. We visit the famed Serengeti; the endless plains, the legendary Ngorongoro Crater, Lake Manyara, and Olduvai Gorge. At the end of our 4-day safari we fly from the middle of the Serengeti back over the ground we covered eliminating a long drive over rough roads.
Kilimanjaro by Mountain Bike
In October 2019 we climbed Kilimanjaro with our mountain bikes. We ascended the Marangu/Kilema Route that offered us a mix of riding and “hike-a-bike”. The descent was glorious! We had a great time and are excited to return for another Kilimanjaro mountain bike adventure June 16 – 25, 2020.
- Are you an experienced mountain biker?
- Do you enjoy new personal challenges?
- Do you enjoy breathtaking scenery, remote settings, pristine environments, and warm friendly cultures?
If you answered “yes” to the above questions consider joining us on this next adventure!
$6900.00 combined with a game viewing safari
$4500.00 Kilimanjaro only
October 1-11, 2020 Kilimanjaro Climb
October 1-11, 2020 Mountain Bike Kilimanjaro Climb
October 12-15, 2020 Safari
February 1-11, 2021 Kilimanjaro Climb
February 12-15, 2021 Safari
October 1-11, 2021 Kilimanjaro Climb
October 12-15, 2021 Safari
Photo Galleries from completed trips!!
October 1-10, 2019 Kilimanjaro by mountain bike. Photo gallery here.
February 15-21, 2019 Kilimanjaro via Umbwe Route. Photo gallery here.
February 22-25, 2019 Game viewing safari. Photo gallery here.
October 9-15, 2018 Climb only. Photo gallery here.
October 30-31, 2018 Game Viewing Safari. Photo gallery here.