East Africa is quite simply the trip of a lifetime.
Kilimanjaro is one of the world’s greatest natural wonders. Located only 3 degrees south of the equator this dormant volcano rises high above lush green jungles and open plains to its glacier flanked summit. At 19340’/5895m this magnificent peak is not only the highest point on the African continent but the only place in the world where it’s possible to pass through five climate zones in five days.
What makes SMI Kilimanjaro climbs special
- SMI has been leading expeditions to Kilimanjaro since 1996. We have intimate knowledge of Kilimanjaro and have successfully climbed all seven routes.
- We offer the security of skilled western guides. SMI guides are high altitude mountaineering veterans intimately familiar with the intricacies of climbing at high elevation and understand how to set our groups up for success.
- Our 7-day itineraries are designed for proper acclimatization to enjoy the experience and appropriate for all ages. We have reached the summit with guests ranging in age from 10 to 79. Our summit rate is 95% with most of our groups achieving 100% success.
- We work with you to develop a training program that’s effective and attainable. You are signing up for more than a 7-day climb; we are here to answer questions immediately from the time you sign up.
- Our guides have the latest training in mountain medicine with cutting edge knowledge and protocols in remote and high altitude medical treatment . Our teams all carry well stocked first aid kits, emergency oxygen, and pulse oximeters. While Kilimanjaro is in a remote setting our itineraries allow for well-established descent paths.
- Our friendly and knowledgeable Tanzanian staff are the best. We have worked with our team for over 20 years. They understand the high standards we want set on trips and deliver unmatched service. Our cooks serve tasty food that includes fresh fruit and vegetables. We proudly accommodate any diet restriction and food allergy. All water is clean and treated and there is never a shortage. Our porters are well taken care of and our staff have become great friends. They look forward to us returning and enjoy sharing the pride of their homeland with us.
- Our equipment is top quality. All trips are equipped with spacious tents for sleeping. Two people share a 3-person tent. We can also provide single tents for those wishing to sleep solo for a nominal fee. We have comfortable dining tents, tables, and chairs. Our staff provides warm wash water twice per day and more often if desired. We also have private toilets exclusively for our groups.
- Our safaris are integrated seamlessly into our itinerary we have refined since our first safari in 1998. They’re also designed for those with non-climbing family and friends who would like to join. Our safari drivers use comfortable Land Rovers with removeable rooftops for superb animal viewing and photography. Vehicles are equipped with power outlets allowing personal electronics to be charged on the go and coolers to store cold beverages. Our skilled safari guides know behaviors and patterns that maximize our chances to locate animals. We stay in a combination of cozy lodges and comfortable permanent tented camps handpicked from over 2 decades of experience. We visit the famed Serengeti; the endless plains, the legendary Ngorongoro Crater, Lake Manyara, and Olduvai Gorge. At the end of our 4-day safari we fly from the middle of the Serengeti back over the ground we covered eliminating a long drive over rough roads.
Kilimanjaro by Mountain Bike
In October 2019 we climbed Kilimanjaro with our mountain bikes. We ascended the Marangu/Kilema Route that offered us a mix of riding and “hike-a-bike”. The descent was glorious! We had a great time and are excited to return for another Kilimanjaro mountain bike adventure June 16 – 25, 2020.
- Are you an experienced mountain biker?
- Do you enjoy new personal challenges?
- Do you enjoy breathtaking scenery, remote settings, pristine environments, and warm friendly cultures?
If you answered “yes” to the above questions consider joining us on this next adventure!
$6900.00 combined with a game viewing safari
$4500.00 Kilimanjaro only.
February 25- March 5, 2020 Kilimanjaro Climb
March 6-9, 2020 Safari
June 15-25, 2020 Kilimanjaro Climb
June 26-29, 2020 Safari
June 16-25, 2020 Mountain Bike Kilimanjaro Climb
October 1-11, 2020 Kilimanjaro Climb
October 12-15, 2020 Safari
Photo Galleries from completed trips!!
October 1-10, 2019 Kilimanjaro by mountain bike. Photo gallery here.
February 15-21, 2019 Kilimanjaro via Umbwe Route. Photo gallery here.
February 22-25, 2019 Game viewing safari. Photo gallery here.
October 9-15, 2018 Climb only. Photo gallery here.
October 30-31, 2018 Game Viewing Safari. Photo gallery here.