Climb Mt. Elbrus: the highest mountain in the European continent.
Climb Mt. Elbrus with SMI! Mt. Elbrus (18510’/5642m) is located in the Caucasus Mountains in Russia next to the border with Georgia. This mountain range stretches over 700 miles between the Black and Caspian Seas along the border of the European and Asian continents. At the pinnacle of this fabled mountain range is Mt. Elbrus situated above the quaint, rustic village of Terskol in the Baksan Valley. The foothills of the Caucasus are decorated with high grasslands, wildflowers and rolling mountains offering spectacular views of Mt. Elbrus. Called “Ash-Gamakho” by the local people, which means “Happiness Bringing Mountain” this dormant volcano is heavily glaciated and requires crampon, ice axe, and rope travel skills. It is the highest mountain in the European continent making it one of the “Seven Summits” and an absolutely classic climb!
Why climb Mt. Elbrus with SMI
- Climb Mt. Elbrus with a staff backed by 3 decades of experience.
- SMI has unmatched intimate knowledge of this magnificent mountain having led expeditions to Mt. Elbrus since 2000.
- We offer the highest level of safety because our experienced guides are high altitude mountaineering veterans familiar with the intricacies of climbing at high elevation. Therefore, they understand how best to set our groups up for success.
- Our itinerary is designed for proper acclimatization.
- We work with you to develop an effective training program. You are signing up for more than a climb; we are here to answer questions from the time you sign up.
- SMI guides have the latest training in mountain medicine protocols and treatment. All groups carry well stocked first aid kits and pulse oximeters. While in a remote setting our itinerary allows for quick access to descend if needed.
- Our friendly Russian staff are the best having worked with our team for over 20 years. They deliver unmatched service because they understand the high standards we set for our trips. Consequently, our staff looks forward to us returning and are proud to share the pride of their homeland with us.
We begin the trip by flying to Saint Petersburg. For those interested in seeing some of the rich history of this beautiful city we offer professionally run extensions to many of the major attractions. Highlights include the Peterhof Palace (Peter the Great’s former summer palace) and the Hermitage Museum. This museum is famous for housing some of the most precious art in the world. We then fly to Mineralnye Vody where land transportation will be waiting to bring us to the town of Terskol (7000’/2134m) in the Baksan Valley. This area was once a vacation spot for the Soviet elite.
We take our first acclimatization hikes up nearby Cheget Mountain. We will then move higher to a hut that puts us within a days climb from the summit. The climbing is over glaciated terrain and will require us to use ice axes and crampons while being roped up. We include time in the itinerary to practice and review essential skills and efficient climbing techniques.
Upon finishing our climb we return to Mineralnye Vody and take a flight to Moscow. For those interested in seeing some of the major attractions in Moscow we offer professionally run extensions. Highlights include the Kremlin, Gorky Park, Red Square, and Victory Park.
View photo galleries from past Mt. Elbrus climbs here.
June 17-25, 2021 with an option to ski
For more details contact our office anytime!