The perfect introduction to alpine rock climbing!
Difficulty rating: Beginner Rock
Length of Trip: 1 Day
Difficulty Rating: Grade 5.5 – 5.7 variations
Crystal Crag is an outstanding introduction to the exhilarating and rewarding sport of alpine climbing! After learning the basics of movement on rock and belaying you’re now ready to try a longer route. This peak is an excellent day trip being located so close to the town of Mammoth Lakes. A massive vein of crystal bisects this massif which gives it its namesake. Our route crosses directly over this impressive rock formation.
The climb is normally 4-5 pitches (rope lengths) which leads to a magnificent ridge traverse. This is an enjoyable finish to the summit on stellar granite that reveals breathtaking views of the Mammoth Lakes Basin and the Mammoth Crest. Standing on Crystal Crag’s unique vantage point treats us to outstanding panoramas of pine trees, blue alpine lakes, and vistas stretching 100+ miles.
Crystal Crag’s topography, setting, and excellent rock quality make this a truly spectacular climb. It’s superior terrain is perfect for practicing many skills used to become proficient in alpine rock climbing including:
- Equipment selection and use
- Placement and removal of climbing gear
- Secure anchoring techniques
- Managing well-organized belay stations
- Multi pitch climbing systems
- Rope handling and management
- Route finding in alpine terrain
- Effective climbing skills to maximize proficiency and energy conservation
- Time management for longer routes
- Safe and efficient movement over 3rd & 4th class ridges
- Choosing and applying different descent methods
$490 for one person
$280 per person for two or more people
Any date between May and October. Book using the button below or contact our office.