Our AIARE 1 Avalanche Course is a complete introduction to the avalanche phenomenon, terrain, decision making, and rescue.
AIARE 1 Avalanche Course Overview
Our AIARE 1 Avalanche Course is for those new to travel in avalanche terrain. It is equally suited for those with prior training in need of a refresher, and to glean the latest avalanche knowledge.
AIARE 1 Avalanche Course Description
The AIARE 1 Class is a three-day / 24 hour introduction to avalanche hazard management. Students can expect to develop a good grounding in:
- Effective preparation for the winter season
- Planning for and carrying out a backcountry trip
- Sound decision making skills
- Rescue techniques to find and dig up a buried person, if someone in their party is caught in an avalanche.
Students in our AIARE 1 course will learn to:
- Develop a plan for travel in avalanche terrain.
- Learn to identify avalanche terrain.
- Use The AIARE Risk Management Framework to make terrain choices in a group setting.
- Perform an effective rescue.
Who the AIARE 1 is for
Our AIARE 1 course is for all who plan to recreate in or near avalanche terrain. It is appropriate for skiers, snowboarders, mountaineers, ice climbers, and winter campers.
This course is a combination of classroom content and field work. The first day of the course will be conducted over Zoom. The following two days are in the field.
- To be able to travel in snow and be in good physical shape.
- For the classroom sessions you need a computer and a reliable high speed internet connection. In addition to the computer a smartphone is helpful but not required.
December 15-17, 2023
January 19-21, 2024
February 23-25, 2024
March 8-10, 2024
March 29-31, 2024
SMI conducts courses for clubs, search and rescue, and all outdoor groups allowing you to customize your dates. Contact our office to arrange a course on dates of your choice.